Thursday, December 29, 2011

Tool #6: Using Web Tools to Promote Discussion in and out of the Classroom

The website Wall Wisher.com was very user friendly and easy to get started. I created an account and used a beautiful wallpaper to construct an interactive bulletin board to use for students, parents, and school. In Kinder we study the history and importance of Veteran's Day. The students bring in a star with their special Veteran labeled on it. I think I can use this wall for students and their families to post about their special Veteran. We can then view it together as a class, and each student can share what they have posted. I would like to learn how to upload pictures to this as well to make it even more engaging. I think the students learning about each other's loved ones and the sacrifices they made for our country will enable them to relate it to their own life and help them realize the liberties and blessings we have being American citizens. It is also an excellent tool to promote parent involvement with their interaction with Wall Wisher.
I also set up a Skype account and would love to use it through my Smart Board with my students. A colleague of mine, Molly Hansen, skyped with a U.S. veteran and the students were able to ask him questions about his service in the military. I think this is a wonderful idea and would be interested in doing something like this with my class. It is a great way to teach communication using our new technology, while integrating it with Social Studies (and any other subject for that matter).

No comments:

Post a Comment